Archive | News Papers

Assisted School Travel Bungle Continues

Liverpool City Champion FARAH ABDURAHMAN 22 Feb, 2012 01:00 AM THERE are still problems with the Assisted School Travel Program. Last week two Heckenburg intellectually disabled boys, 9 and 12, left the bus at a wrong stop after one of them had an altercation with the driver. A Department of Education and Communities spokesman said […]

Read the full story

Posted in Liverpool City Champion0 Comments

Warrah School Student Still Has Travel Problems

Hills Shire Times 22 Feb 12 @ 09:00am by LAURA TRIESTE WHILE Lara McDaniel is finally getting to school now her bus trip can take twice the time it once did. The autistic student from Warrah School at Dural was one of the 740 children affected by the Education Department’s failure to finalise contracts for […]

Read the full story

Posted in Hills Shire Times0 Comments

Disabled Children Pay The Price as School Bus Dodges Tolls

Sydney Morning Herald Anna Patty February 18, 2012   SOME children with disabilities are spending up to four hours commuting to and from school because transport operators are taking longer routes to avoid paying road tolls. Francesca Fredericks said that her son Oscar, 6, who has autism, spent up to two hours on the bus […]

Read the full story

Posted in Sydney Morning Herald0 Comments

Senior Bureaucrats Stood Down Over Disabled Travel Fiasco

Sydney Morning Herald Anna Patty February 11, 2012   TWO senior bureaucrats have been stood down after ”telling the minister what they thought he wanted to hear” before 700 students with disabilities were left stranded without transport to school last week. The officers were stood down without pay from their positions yesterday pending disciplinary action […]

Read the full story

Posted in Sydney Morning Herald0 Comments

Report Savages Officials Over School Bus Fiasco

By NSW political reporter Liz Foschia, ABC February 10, 2012, 12:04 pm New South Wales Education Minister Adrian Piccoli has escaped censure in a report examining why hundreds of disabled students were left stranded at the beginning of the 2012 school year. Premier Barry O’Farrell asked former Education Department head Ken Boston last week to […]

Read the full story

Posted in The Western Australian0 Comments

Disabled Girl Left On Her Own On Bus During Seizure

Evelyn Yamine The Daily Telegraph February 08, 2012 12:00AM A YOUNG disabled girl turned blue and almost suffocated during a seizure after she was left to travel unaccompanied on a bus in the latest chapter of the state government’s bungled school transport debacle. An investigation is under way to discover why an escort or carer […]

Read the full story

Posted in The Telegraph0 Comments

Hard School But Someone Has to Pay For This Transport Debacle

Maralyn Parker Wednesday, February 08, 2012 at 06:19pm   What an inglorious start to the school year for NSW Education Minister, Adrian Piccoli, and his Director General, Michele Bruniges. This is the first time they have faced the beginning of a school year in their new jobs and it has been disastrous. They have presided […]

Read the full story

Posted in The Telegraph0 Comments

Poor Pay Rates Anger School Drivers

BY ALEXANDRA PLEFFER 08 Feb, 2012 01:00 AM A GROUP of Campbelltown and Camden drivers has blamed the state government for last week’s blunder which left hundreds of disabled students stranded. Last Monday, 740 students across NSW were left without a lift to school because of a dispute over new contracts for operators in the […]

Read the full story

Posted in Macarthur Advertiser0 Comments

Wall of Silence over NSW School Disabled Travel Farce

Evelyn Yamine The Daily Telegraph February 02, 2012 12:00AM   3 comments EVON Rotondo spent three hours in peak-hour traffic yesterday, battling to get two disabled students to school. The driver with the assisted school travel program then headed home to pick up her own son, 14-year-old Andrew – who is in a wheelchair with cerebral palsy – […]

Read the full story

Posted in The Telegraph0 Comments

Hard Lessons Ahead for Education Minister Adrian Piccoli

Andrew Clennell The Daily Telegraph February 02, 2012 12:00AM 3 comments EDUCATION Minister Adrian Piccoli’s job is on the line after Premier Barry O’Farrell said he could be axed over revelations he failed to act on warnings that the disabled school transport program was in trouble. Asked yesterday if Mr Piccoli would be “in the […]

Read the full story

Posted in The Telegraph0 Comments

Fix This Mess

BELINDA-JANE DAVIS 01 Feb, 2012 04:00 AM On the day Premier Barry O’Farrell visited Vacy Public School to present books to students, an Abermain father has rejected his offer of an inquiry into the bungle that has left more than 50 Maitland students with disabilities stranded this week. Jarratt Rebb challenged Mr O’Farrell to “stop […]

Read the full story

Posted in Maitland Mercury0 Comments

Bus Bungle Leaves Disabled Children in Limbo

Evelyn Yamine The Daily Telegraph January 30, 2012 10:02PM 55 comments MORE than 700 disabled and special needs children were left stranded without transport to school yesterday after the government failed to finalise contracts. The inexcusable bus bungle occurred despite the education minister being made aware of the issue a week ago. Premier Barry O’Farrell […]

Read the full story

Posted in The Telegraph0 Comments

Taxi Council Forces Delay to Disability Service Tenders

Sydney Morning Herald Jacob Saulwick and Anna Patty December 22, 2010 THE powerful NSW Taxi Council has won the first bout of a fight with the Education Department over how much it should cost to take disabled children to and from school. The department spends about $70 million a year on the assisted school travel […]

Read the full story

Posted in Sydney Morning Herald0 Comments